Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bluetooth Headsets

I HATE Bluetooth Headsets. Listen carefully, Bluetooth headsets are not fashion accessories. They are meant to aid in the safety and comfort of making cellular phone calls and that is all. But, people tend to use them in a way that says, "Hey, I am so important, I could get a call at any moment." I'm not sure how the trend started, but someone thought that these ear plugs looked good and began wearing them for the "style" of it. Around 2005, I thought (hoped) that the trend would end, but here we are, 5 years later, and still some people insist on perpetually wearing these ear protrusions like they are a part of some sort of low budget Star Trek reenactment. Here is the deal, you have about a 2 min window before and after an actual phone call in which it is acceptable to continue wearing said device. Beyond that, you are wading into "Jerk" territory.

There are a few scenarios in which these headsets can be warn outside of the two minute window. If you are driving, no problem and thank you for making America's roads a little safer. If you are working or may receive a work related call at any moment then, fine, you are on the job and I can respect that. Also, some of these devices are actually hearing aids in disguise, in which case I disagree with your choice of hearing aid, but OK, fine, I guess you have to hear.

But, here are some examples of the ridiculous uses I have seen of these headsets. First, there was the employee of my school district who wore one through the entirety of the superintendent's welcome to school address. This seemed genuinely rude in my opinion or, at least, lazy. Second, was the woman I saw wearing one in a nightclub/bar. There was a live band playing so loudly that we could hardly hear ourselves think let alone carry on a conversation with someone. So, what in the world was she going to do? Even if she noticed someone was calling, the place was so crowded, there was no way she was making it to the exit in time to field the call. But, hey, she looked cool and that is what matters. Last, but not least, there was my favorite. A guy was walking into the Arclight theater with his girlfriend wearing two different kinds of these awful devices, one on each ear. I KID YOU NOT! One on each f-ing ear! I mean, come on! What is the thought process there? Did he have two different cell phones that he might be getting calls on at any moment as he was entering his movie of choice for the evening? In the end, the most baffling part is how the girl that was with him put up with it. One thing I am teaching my daughter for sure,"If a guy shows up wearing a Bluetooth headset, you walk away. If he is wearing two, you run."

No comments:

Post a Comment